Thursday, November 27, 2008

The feast of Thanksgiving - Thu 27 Nov 2008

We are thankful for our many blog readers. At today's Eucharist (which means giving thanks), the monks offered the following prayers of gratitude:


Br. Adam, presider - I am grateful for: the wonderful people of The Church of St Edward the Martyr (NYC), and 7 wonderful years as priest there; the House of the Redeemer (NYC) and all its staff, trustees and volunteers; for our Holy Cross community in this time of stress and sorrow; for our monastic vows and life, which make us flexible to meet the future.

Br. Randy, server - I am thankful for a loving and worshipful community of faith and welcome.

B. James, thurifer - I am thankful for the six months I was privileged to live with the community at Mount Calvary, in Santa Barbara, earlier this year; and for the on-going legacy of the Order of the Holy Cross that I, and we, have all inherited from those who have gone before us.

Br. Bede, prior - I give thanks for the gift of monastic vocation, for all God has given to me and demanded from me, and for the gift of this community for companionship in the journey to God.

Br. Ronald, sub-prior - I am thankful for the gift of Life each day.

Br. Robert, superior - I give thanks for the sheer gift of existence. And especially today, for the gift of others with whom to share that existence... for the whole human family (close kin, community, friends, Associates, colleagues, benefactors, strangers) and for the whole created order (plants, insects, birds, fish, reptiles, mammals)... for the whole crazy, buzzing, God-infested lot that is the cosmos. For all that is: Thank you!

Br. Scott, assistant superior - I am thankful beyond words to live the life we live in this beautiful place - most especially for the opportunity to make music in this church. I am thankful that with the help of donors, builders, architect and others, we have been able to make this monastery almost fully accessible - my heart is filled with joy when I see people with limited mobility benefiting from the improvements we have made.

Br. Lary - I give thanks for the survival of the Brothers at Mount Calvary.

Br. Cecil - I give thanks for my family, for my brothers in OHC, for the leaders of our Order, for the staff and residents of Ferncliff nursing home.

Br. Bernard - I am grateful for the bonds of friendship amongst our brethren. I am grateful for the legacy of our departed brothers. I am grateful for the generosity of our many friends. I am grateful for our Mount Calvary Brothers being safe. I am grateful for the challenges and opportunities of difficult times.

Charles, postulant - I am thankful and grateful to live in an intentional community that turns my heart toward God on a daily basis, stretching me to grow in ways I have never conceived before.

Joe, aspirant - I am thankful for the gift of families that found it in their hearts to adopt or foster children. I am thankful for the strength and humility of discernment. I am thankful for the lives of the Brothers that have gone before us.

Guests - our guests added many more thanksgiving of their own.

The presider concluded:
Above all, we give You thanks for the great mercies and promises given to us in Christ Jesus our Lord. To Him be praise and glory, with You, O Father, and the Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.